Re: [OM] Maui/Haleakala advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Maui/Haleakala advice
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 16:13:45 -0500

Tim Chakravorty wrote:

> Zuiks,
> I will be off  on a trip to Maui, HI , for a few days. Has anyone shot the
> famed Haleakala sunrise, or have any experience
> shooting in Maui ?

You'll want to wear lots of layers -- undershirt, long sleeved shirt, jacket,
etc -- and take a blanket and some towels to sit on,
too.  It gets really, really cold up there (almost 11,000 ft!) before sunrise.
Just follow the crowds, pack a thermos of hot
beverage, etc.  There's no water up there, so bring your own.  The best viewing
spot is short of the summit, but everything is
closed until later, so there's little shelter from the wind.

When you come down, check out my friends at Trilogy Excursions -- the Lanai day
trip is fantastic, as is the snorkle/sail out of
Maalae -- ask if Captain Scotty is still making the run, he's lots of fun.
Tell him Clint and Karen and Katie miss him -- and, oh
yes, Katie's going to have a little brother soon!  Otherwise we'd be there to
tell him ourselves!