Re: [OM] cross point screws follow up

Subject: Re: [OM] cross point screws follow up
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 21:47:09 -0400
At 3:02 AM +0000 8/29/02, olympus-digest wrote:
>Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 10:45:07 -0700
>From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [OM] cross point screws follow up
>
> > The smaller Phillips patterns are cross-points; only #2 and bigger
>have the rounded gullies on the screwdriver tip.
> >
>This is not my experience after a close look at my #0 philips and #1
>cross point under a magnifier. They definitely each have a unique
>profile.

This is likely manufacturing variation.  I looked in "Machinery's Handbook",
and there are three standard cross recess variations, Type I (like #2
Phillips), Type Ia (PoziDrive?), and Type II (a straight cross, like #1
Phillips).  However, Machinery's Handbook didn't say which types were used
where.

>I wouldn't use anything labeled "philips" on my camera

I guess the key question is which standard the Japanese camera manufacturers
follow.  Perhaps John or Clint know for sure.  I always thought it was
Phillips, and these seem to work well if made well, but I don't know for sure.

My test is if the screw fits the drivertip tightly without being forced.  If
so, the screw will not fall off the tip, even if the screwdriver is held almost
horizontal.

> > ...The large cross-point used on
> > wood furniture is Reed-Prince, which is often mistaken for Phillips...
> >
>True enough for old furniture but mostly used on the hardware rather
>than the connections. And trying to force a philips into a R&P will
>strip the screw head. BTDT

Yes.  Actually, a #1 Phillips will do in a pinch, if the RP screw isn't too
tight.

In New England, we also see a lot of new wood furniture with Scrulox heads,
which have a square recess.  Very strong profile, so it's difficult to cam-out
or strip the head.  Canadian manufacturers in particular seem to use Scrulox.

Joe Gwinn