[OM] Allowable load on a Shoe 4?

Subject: [OM] Allowable load on a Shoe 4?
From: "Curtis P. Hedman" <Curtis.P.Hedman-1@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 21:45:08 -0500
Another of my endless supply of questions for the experts on the List... what is a reasonable limitation on the load that a Shoe 4 can support on an OM-2n? Since apparently cracking of the Shoe 4 is commonplace, I have been trying to treat same gently on my new (to me) OM-2n; it came with two, both slightly cracked but functional. I get that sense that the shoe can easily handle the load imposed by a T20 (with a little care), but even the T32 seems almost too massive, and other units such as the Vivitar 4600, 5200 and 5600 are much too heavy and (because they are tall) capable of too much torque on the shoe. I've a couple of Sunpak dedicated to the Olympus that seem lighter, but I could really use some guidance/suggestions. I do have a BG2, but I believe I need some special cords to maintain ttl flash exposure with it, and then only with the T20 or T32..... As always, any comments will be appreciated!

I suppose I should have similar concerns for the shoes on my OM-2s, OM-PC and OM-4T, but they seem so much more substantial... of course, if I bend one of them, I'm in for big time pain!

Curt