Re: [OM] Adapter - Pentax screw thread to OM

Subject: Re: [OM] Adapter - Pentax screw thread to OM
From: Larry Woods <lmwoods@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2002 17:23:06 -0400
Tom Murphy <murphytj@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote
<< Did anyone ever make an adapter to mount a "Pentax" Screw thread
lens on an OM body? >>

They were made by third-party companies.  Someone else has already
noted that one is for sale right now on *bay.  I also recall seeing
them listed on the B&H Photo web site, though I haven't looked
recently.  I bought one on *bay over a year ago.  Its brand name is
Marumi.

The Pentax M42 mount is closer to the film plane than an OM mount,
so the adapters have a built-in lens that corrects for infinity
focus.  Functionally it works like a teleconverter, increasing the
focal length of the M42 lens by about 10%.

Since you were interested in macro work, it doesn't sound like this
adapter is the best solution for you.  You might try looking for a
T-mount bellows, and get an OM adapter for the back, and an M42
flange for the front - or maybe just the M42 flange and OM adapter
without the bellows if you want to use your own M42 tubes.

If you feel like living dangerously, you could even try attaching the
M42 tubes to the front of the T-mount bellows or OM-T
adapter.  The T-mount has a 42mm diameter like Pentax, but uses a
different screw pitch.  If you go slowly and carefully, and stop
turning before you strip any threads, you can partially screw an M42
lens or tube into a T flange.  With even more luck, it won't fall off
at an inopportune time.  Try this at home only at your own risk.