Re: [OM] Filter ring repairs?

Subject: Re: [OM] Filter ring repairs?
From: John Robison <omrobison@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 14:26:18 -0700 (PDT)

--- Richard Hawkins <rhawkin3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'd appreciate recomendations on straightening the
> filter ring on a 100mm f2.8 silvernose. It seems it
> is dented just enough to prevent a filter from
> threading on to it. yes or no? special tools?
> procedures? or forget it?
>
> Rich
Check with John at Camtech, I have straightened a
couple of filter rings useing his method. Lets see if
I can describe it. Use a short piece of 3/8 wood
dowell rod, taper and round off one end to match curve
of filter ring, holding lens in one hand with dowell
cradled between fingers and across lens, place curved
end on threads of bent in section. Now use a small
mallet to lightly tap other end of dowell, the idea is
to slowly dolley out the bent part of the filter ring
with a series of small taps on the dowell. This method
has worked well for me on filter rings that were bent
but not badly bashed. YMMV  Regards  John Robison