Re: [OM] S Zuiko ZOOM 35-70mm/F3.5-4.5?

Subject: Re: [OM] S Zuiko ZOOM 35-70mm/F3.5-4.5?
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 14:44:40 -0700
As Gary noted in his test, ergonomic satisfaction with this lens can vary a lot with different individuals. I love the diminutive size, but I have relatively long, slender fingers. I'm sure people with relatively large and/or blunt fingers could find operation more difficult. I find fit, finish and feel to be up to that of my (many) other Zuikos. I think it's a perfect match to the OM-PC and have no trouble focusing on OM-PC bodies. The close focus is also really a nice feature (and better than the 35-80).

The 35-80/2.8 is a whole different thing, cost aside, as it is about twice as long and about 3.5x the weight. Even the 35-70/3.6, at only twice the weight and 1.5x the length is bulky and heavy enough to create a different 'experience' of picture taking. A 35-70/3.5-4.5 on an OM-PC is light, casual and free. A big lens on a single digit OM is heavier and more serious. Sometimes I feel like serious photography, sometimes I don't.

Moose

Damon Wood wrote:

Tom wrote:

You'll love it. The 3.5-4.5 is one of my favorite, and most used,
lenses!

    Thanks for the responses guys.

    Yes I got the lens and it was the 3.5~4.5 Zuiko. The lens is very
    light and there is quite a lot of MC glass for a slow lens.

    Though there are a few things (as Ralf mentioned) that Im not
    'over-happy' with.

    On the general, the lens isnt as easy to use as I originally
    thought. Plenty of practice will see me through though.

    1) Firstly, looking at the lens, the overall build quality
    compared to what (in my opinion) I call a Zuiko is to an extent
    pretty average. It reminds me of the OM2000 in terms of
    comparatible quality to the actual OM system.

    2) Focusing is not a easy at all. Contrary to this, the apeture
    ring is too close to the bayonet when mounted making it hard to
    use (especially if the shutter ring is stopped right down when in
    'M' Mode).

    Though, I havnt taken pics with it yet. I assume from Gary Reese's
    lens test that it is actually a very good performer. From looking
    at the glass (9E), theres probably no reason why it wont.

    The focal range is what I really got it for. If I did have the OM
    $, Id buy without a doubt C.H. Ling;s 35 - 80 f2.8 What a lens is
    all I can say!