Re: [OM] [OT] Software for website development

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Software for website development
From: "Ian BManners" <om@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 13:16:18 +1000 (EST)
Hi Larry

>That's great, but its a matter of dollars & brainwashing. Microsoft is far
>more money hungry & powerful, so they are able to force Internet Explorer

<snip>

>Explorer takes, web designers will righteously take causing websites to
>have problems on Netscape.
>If sites were written for Netscape, Internet Explorer would have problems.
>This will never happen. Microsoft is too subconciously powerful, and web
>designers are beginning to truly believe their mouths as they profess
>Internet Explorer to be "better".

<snip>

>SO...Any Netscape suggestions will fall on deaf ears. :)

IBM's WebBrowser (OS/2) and Mozilla (not netscape) both
produce exceptionaly tight, good cross platform code.

WebBrowser is based on Mozilla code as well.

If I didnt do a lot of handcoding, I'd probably uses these for
the more normal pages BUT they are excellent for checking
framed webpages, which is what I use them for.

Netscape v4.xx did break the minor standards itself, not as
much as MSIE, but enough so both defeated themselves.

Until stable Mozilla hit the streets, I used an OS/2 only program
to do basic frames, or a basic template I kept before filling in
the rest with hand coding.  A good package is any package
that allows you to do both, without shielding you from the code.

Cheers
Ian B Manners