RE: [OM] Jumping Into the Pool Head First

Subject: RE: [OM] Jumping Into the Pool Head First
From: Scott Gomez <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 22:02:44 -0700
I'm not gonna lay claim to being an expert, but here is what has worked for
me. YMMV.

1. Scan at 300 dpi or better.
2. Save the raw file in case anything screws up, then be careful not to
alter it.
3. Perform any and all manipulations you intend to make to the image, saving
an "intermediate" file frequently.
4. When the file is the way you want it, "down sample" to either 96 or 72
dpi while holding the overall pixel dimensions constant. While this is dead
easy to do in Photoshop, it may be difficult or impossible in some other
software. FYI: 96 dpi is the hardware-equivalent-resolution (there's
probably a better way of saying this) for many SVGA or better monitors.
72dpi is the original "MacStandard".
5. Resize the image for whatever size you want on screen. Use pixels for
dimension units for screen display; because of differences in physical
screen sizes, "inches" or "centimeters" are meaningless.
6. Apply unsharp masking or some sort of sharpening to compensate for
scanning softness (unavoidable result of scanning, in my experience) and/or
manipulation losses.
7. Save the final image in JPG or PNG format.

Hope this helps, Rich.

---
Scott Gomez