Re: [OM] Safari out - Paris in?

Subject: Re: [OM] Safari out - Paris in?
From: Matt Crawley <matt@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 00:23:15 -0600
Hi Henry.

hcbottj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Too much planning and advance work for my trip to South Africa so I've
> decided to substitute a trip to Paris.  Probably 4-5 days, and yes to do the
> touristy things (I've never been).

Cool.

> I'm looking for gear recommendations (yet, but they are always welcome),

An 18mm or 20mm lens. Many things streets/building/museums/monuments in
Europe are tightly packed together and there are many shots you WILL NOT GET
unless you have a superwide lens.

> but am more curious about security. Here in NYC they've gotten a bit stricter
> on security, for example x-raying bags and metal detectors at the Empire State
> Building.  Anyone from Paris (or that has been recently) have any info about
> this?  Any places I may not be able to bring a camera bag, or places that
> photos would be forbidden?

I was there in February carrying a pretty big shoulder bag and they were
still trying to figure stuff out. The Picasso & Rodin museums say you MUST
check your bags but they will NOT accept bags with cameras for fear of
theft. Usually a guard would usher me to the bag check, then the lady at bag
check would yell at the guard, then the guard would casually search my bag
and let me in.

Each museum/monument has different rules as to what gear you can use. The
Louvre allows flash but I think no tripods... I'm not sure about some others
but I bet you can find info online or at the book store.

> And okay, any advice about where to go for good shots would be great too.
> I'll probably go sometime in October this year.

I found a lot of photo ops and less people on the left bank... At least I
think it's the left! It's the side with the Eiffel tower. The tower is cool
because there are a lot of streets leading that offer interesting framing
and composition.

There is also the Rodin museum near there and I really liked that. It is a
house and gardens where he lived and it is filled with sculptures. There are
not many places where you can get a shot of "The Thinker" in the garden of
the man who sculpted it.

 - Matt Crawley