[OM] Jumping Into the Pool Headfirst

Subject: [OM] Jumping Into the Pool Headfirst
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 06:11:43 EDT
Wayne wrote:

>What would you do with the details you could record anyhow?

Compare results from shot to shot, to see if, for example, that having had a
hunch that I should overexpose half a stop was the correct thing to do.  And
LEARN from that comparison.  As it is now, I can easily pick out the "best"
shot from two or a bunch, but I have no idea WHY that particular shot turned
out the best (the one I THOUGHT might turn out best might be the clunker in
the bunch).

>How do you decide what to record and what not to record?

I guess that would depend in part on the amount of time you had to record
info., and in part on what your "focus"/purpose was.  But I would at least
want type & speed of film, shutter speed, f-stop, lens, any filter used,
whether the exposure was as-metered or half a stop over/under, etc.  Any
comments, notes, etc. would just add to the info. from which to judge the
results.  If you were shooting an entire roll or weekend with just one body,
lens, film, etc., that data could be recorded just once, of course, saving
time and trouble.  I don't have a system for it yet so I don't really KNOW.
:-{

>I believe some of the Wunderbricks record heaps of stuff for each
 exposure - seems like a good job for a machine.

That would be WUNDERFUL!  But... not worth carrying a bigger/heavier camera
with more features to fail.  And there is always that extra note you may want
to make about your rationale for using over/under-exposure, etc.  Guess who
still has to record that?  I always have a little notepad and pen with me in
the truck and when I hike, so I really have no excuse.

Rich