Re: [OM] Safari out - Paris in?

Subject: Re: [OM] Safari out - Paris in?
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 12:46:32 +0100
I was in Paris for a couple of days two weeks ago. Security-wise it was all pretty relaxed, with no x-rays and only a very cursory bag check going up the Eiffel Tower. No worries either about taking a large bag up there. Going up the Eiffel Tower is certainly to be recommended - the view is beautiful, especially at night. If you're there in October the queues which were almost intolerable in August should be much more reasonable.

Other touristy things to do are visit Montmartre - Sacre Coeur is much more impressive from the outside than the inside and the main reason I like Montmartre is for the beautiful view over Paris. Notre Dame is nice and I hear the view from the top is excellent, but I didn't make it there due to long queues. The Louvre is fantastic - the IM Pei pyramids make for great photos on a sunny day. Here's one of mine I was quite pleased with: http://www.worldtraveller.f9.co.uk/travel/london-munich/pictures/pm01-p01-31.jpg . You can take photos inside, flash is allegedly banned but plenty of people seem to flout the rules.

Quite apart from photography and the sights, one of my favourite things to do in Paris is to buy a baguette and some cheese and sit in a park to eat them. Wonderful!

Roger

Henry Bottjer-BA wrote:

Too much planning and advance work for my trip to South Africa so I've
decided to substitute a trip to Paris.  Probably 4-5 days, and yes to do the
touristy things (I've never been).  I'm looking for gear recommendations
(yet, but they are always welcome), but am more curious about security.
Here in NYC they've gotten a bit stricter on security, for example x-raying
bags and metal detectors at the Empire State Building.  Anyone from Paris
(or that has been recently) have any info about this?  Any places I may not
be able to bring a camera bag, or places that photos would be forbidden?

And okay, any advice about where to go for good shots would be great too.
I'll probably go sometime in October this year.

Thanks
Henry (in desperate need of a vacation)