Re: [OM] How to Capture subtle colors

Subject: Re: [OM] How to Capture subtle colors
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 01:15:19 -0700
Can*n lenses just can't capture the subtleties. Maybe there is a solution on their list? :-P

Possibly more seriously, it appears you are getting standard 4x6 prints and then scanning them on a flatbed?

Are the colors you want showing up on the prints? If not, your problem is most likely the automated printing process. Automated processors have the benefit of being able to make print in which one can recognize the subject from almost any negative. They have the disadvantage that they balance every shot to something like 18 0ray. Pictures where one color predominates or one major color group is missing almost always come out off color. Pictures that should be mostly dark, like night street scenes, etc. come out murky gray, and so on. Printing also either loses highlight or shadow detail or compresses contrast, as the paper can't reproduce the complete range of brightness on the film.The only solution to the problem of non 'standard' subjects is finding another lab to make custom prints of the shots you want to reporduce, have them scanned to Photo CD or better, get a film scanner or go to slide film (which still leaves the scanner problem).

If the prints show the color detail and the scans don't it's a scanner/calibration/software problem.

Film is almost certainly not the problem. The shots in your web album seem to have very little detail in the highlights. You could try underexposing some shots a stop (or more where the background is darker) to see if you can get out of the range of the autoprinter adjustment. And/or adjusting the brightness of the scanner.

Much of this also applies to your second question.

Moose

bsandyman@xxxxxxx wrote:

I have been taking pictures of this bright yellow flower
now for months. I have been disatisfied so far partly
because the thing that draws my attention to these things
is the very slightly orange portion of the petal. I have
so far failed to capture this aspect of the flower. Here
are some pictures to show what I mean.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder.tcl?folder_id=236230