Re: [OM] How to Capture subtle colors

Subject: Re: [OM] How to Capture subtle colors
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 08:17:20 -0600
At 12:14 AM 9/6/2002 +0000, 'bsandyman' wrote:
>I have been taking pictures of this bright yellow flower
>now for months. I have been disatisfied so far partly
>because the thing that draws my attention to these things
>is the very slightly orange portion of the petal. I have
>so far failed to capture this aspect of the flower.

Try a film that cranks the saturation down rather than up.  For slide film,
Provia's an especially good choice.  For print film, Kodak's 'Portra' series
works well (stay away from the ones that promise extra saturation, though).
Avoid Velvia and print films like Royal Gold.  And don't go too high in the ASA
department, either (100 or lower, if possible).  You may have to visit a pro
shop to get some of these better films, but it's worth it.

Garth