Re: [OM] How to Capture subtle colors

Subject: Re: [OM] How to Capture subtle colors
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 22:04:30 -0300

> I think most people are "barking up the wrong tree" with this problem.
> I think you should use one of the contrasty & saturated films like
> Velvia, E100VS, with FLAT lighting these films will actually emphasise
> the subtle colour difference you see but haven't been able to record.
>
> ...Wayne

Well I was just this evening projecting 3 films I got back today; all were
Elitechrome 100 Extra Color. I normally shoot Kodachrome 64, but it is
getting almost impossible to find, at least locally. The Elitechrome was
also a little tempting for $4 Cdn., per roll of 36 (= about $2.50 USD).
The Elitechrome stuff is VERY colorful, a little too much so for my liking
for many shots. The ocean blue is way too blue, and some clothing colors are
too enhanced, faces are awful, but it does jazz up sunsets nicely, and also
fireworks; also makes the red mud of Prince Edward Island stand out. If you
want your yellow flowers to come out almost orange, this will do it.
Sigh...I have another 10 rolls of the sale stuff to shoot somewhere - fall
leaves maybe?
I've still never tried Velvia, so, anyone who has experience with both, is
Velvia even more unrealistic then this Kodak extra color stuff?
Olympus content - One roll was shot on an Olympus RC. I still think it beats
the OM SLR's, and I use Zuikos, Kiron, Vivitars, Phoenix, CPC (not so good),
and Tokina ATX.
But with the rangefinder you have to be content with 42mm only.
Wayne Culberson