[OM] Re: My 85mm f2

Subject: [OM] Re: My 85mm f2
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 19:13:58 -0700
Howdy all,
        I thought I'd post some of that wacky flare from my 85mm f2,0
while mounted on my OM2n.
http://pwp.clearsource.net/mbachofen/images/photographs/85mmflare2.jpg

If you notice, it's always in the same location.
Matthew Bachofen

It sort of confirms what I noticed  before that it is proportional to
the large, brightly lit blocks in the picture.  It may be present in
the horse picture, but reduced and blending into the well lit & busy
background.  I think I can see one of the spots in the center of the
horse picture and it lines up with the print above. Have you checked
the inside of the lens for anything that could be catching the light
and reflecting it around?  A crack in a lens element, a separation,
fungus, a shiny spot?  I would imagine you can see the flare in the
viewfinder and even, with aiming, find out what maximizes it or
minimizes it.  If you can see it, you might try rotating the lens
after pressing the bayonet release and looking through the viewfinder
to see whether the flare also rotates.

The spots are so parallel to the long edge of the frame that it looks
like it is the body, but you say it only happens with the 85?
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

?