[OM] Summary: Was How to get subtle color

Subject: [OM] Summary: Was How to get subtle color
From: bsandyman@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2002 16:43:17 +0000
Wow. I mean Wow. I had not expected the deluge of

I decided to collect all the responses and put them
together to try and see what I should try first.

The most obvious and pervasive trend involved trying a
new film. This suggestion broke up into two camps. High
saturation and low saturation.

These makes me wonder if both of these would work under
different lighting conditions. Maybe High Saturation with
less light, and low saturation with bright light? I
really don't know, but it might explain why so many
experienced people have such diverse views.

Everyone who suggested film changes, suggested slide
film. One reason given was to eliminate failures in the
printing process. Another was more accurate color
reproduction and better contrast. Unfortunatly I do not
have a slide projector.

A lot of people have suggested the shot was improperly
exposed. More people suggested it was over-exposed then
under. Over exposure seems a good explanation because the
highlights would have been blown and any gradation of
color lost. Suggestions to help with this would be to
shoot at a different time of day, or use an umbrella.
Three people suggested problems with my scanner. One of
those volenteered to scan the negatives for me, and I
have agreed. This will also have the happy benefit of
checking whether or not the printing process is the problem.

My personal opinion, based on what all has been said
(although obviously inexpert since I had to ask) is that
the exposure was wrong. I tend to rely heavily in the
match needle in the viewfinder. Had I been thinking more
about it, I should have known to underexpose more, or at
least bracket. For the curious this was shot in the
midmorning sun, with the sun at my back. (Mostly)
The film may also be a problem, but since I know that my
exposure technique is questionable I think I should start
there and only change one variable at a time.

Unfortunatly this weekend was shot due to inclimate weather.

Since there is so much interest, I will post results from
future trials.

P.S. I have noticed the thread on taking notes. I will
take notes for the purpose of this experiment. I try to
do this as a norm in any case.