Re: [OM] Speaking of RC

Subject: Re: [OM] Speaking of RC
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2002 12:19:47 -0700
on 9/7/02 8:57 PM, Dan DusSault at dand@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> Wayne wrote:
>>
>> snip
>>> One roll was shot on an Olympus RC.  I still think it beats the OM
>>> SLR's, and I use Zuikos, Kiron, Vivitars, Phoenix, CPC (not so good),
>>> and Tokina ATX.
>> snip
>
> After reading this I remembered a long forgotten RC buried in a camera bag. I
> used this little gem alot during the mid 80's but put it away for over 12
> years. I pulled it out of the bag today and it's still in EX+ condition with
> one exception, the back foam.
>
> Does anyone know where to get foam and a suitable replacement for the mercury
> battery?
>
> I have to agree with Wayne, I always loved the picture quality of this great
> little camera. It is perfect for candid shots and real easy to just throw in a
> pocket and have ready anywhere.

You can get sheets of foam from Micro Tools, <http://www.micro-tools.com/>
one sheet is enough for a lot of cameras. They have it in 1mm, 2mm, and 3mm
thickness, I don't know what the RC uses. It is a little fiddly to cut into
the narrow strips, but overall easy enough to do.

Scrape out the old foam carefully with a flat-blade screwdriver or wooden
scraper made from a popsicle stick first, then clean with alcohol, let it
dry, then put in new foam strips where the originals were. I use 91% rubbing
alcohol and Q-tips to remove the old foam residue and adhesive.  Use some
tweezers to help guide it into place, its hard to handle with the backing
paper removed.

That's pretty much the drill for most cameras. Sometimes its easier with the
top and bottom covers off, but that can get involved...
--

Jim Brokaw