[OM] What have I Taken On??

Subject: [OM] What have I Taken On??
From: "Josh Lohuis" <josh1@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 21:01:51 -0400
Hello All,

    I have recently accepted three photography "jobs".  The first one, which
involves me taking pictures of a woman's one-year old baby (female), do be
done sometime before the end of September.  I have talked breifly with the
lady, she mentioned being open to anything, including the outdoors at
sunset. The second job; taking pictures of a woman's dog, to be done early
October (not much more information here [yet]).  And lastly, a family
portrait for another woman, there was mention of a new grand-piano that is
to be included in a (the) portrait.

  The first job worries me a little, although because she is open to
"whatever"  I think I'll be OK.  Hopefully all pictures with available
light- even indorr photos.  I'm thinking about Kodak Portra.  Not sure to go
with NC or VC, I don't want the baby to take on a pink hue with the VC, but
I imagine it would accentuate the colours of the sunset.  She will most
liekly be wanting enlargements in the 11X14 area (estimate) so I'm assuming
that a lower ASA film would be best.

For job number two I imagine the owner of the dog will let him go outside,
although it might be a pure-bred poodle with ribbons and a sweater.  In that
case I may need a flash.  What film to use?  I don't even know where to
begin picking out film for a dog shoot.

Job three will most-likely need flash unless a divine intervention provides
a large bay window at an acceptable angle to the piano.  Lord!  This one
scares me, at least its not a wedding.  Again, they will wnat enlargements,
so I'm thinking Portra NC 160.  I'm not sure though.

So the meat of this post:  the flash topic.  I'm going to need a flash for
at least one picture for at least one job, plus I'll need it more many
(hopefully) jobs a head.  The Metz 45 any CL  is looking good, but there is
a problem.  I'm very leary of Ebay.  I see some nice 45's go for good prices
all the time but I'm too scared to bid.  Im not sure why either, its liek a
phobia.  But anyhow, can anybody provide any advice an anything I will be
doing int eh next two months ex: film choice, backgrounds/backdrops (are
they neccesary?), flash choice (dryfit battery or NiMH), advice on taking
baby pictures, animal pictures, family pictures, general advice, ebay
tips/advice, ect. etc.

Thanks to everyone in advance, maybe I can get through this and at the end
have a few dollars lining my pockets and few inquries about my "services".

   Josh (Oh God!)