Re: zoom v. prime [was: Re: [OM] Digital SLR ] Air quality

Subject: Re: zoom v. prime [was: Re: [OM] Digital SLR ] Air quality
From: Andrew Beals <bandy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2002 20:27:45 -0700
On Sat, 07 Sep 2002 08:10:46 -0700, Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >Having dropped by Yosemite NP a few weeks ago to see the sights and by the
> > >way
> > >snap a few photos, the second thing I noticed after the awful air
> > >quality...
> >
> Most likely from forest fires.

Quite possibly.  However, there was a noticable smoke level due to campfires
down low in the valley.  The higher-altitude haze/smog was a lot like we get
here in the bay area hiding the "mountains" from view, so I don't think it was
due to the Oregon forest fires entirely.  More likely air pollution
concentrated from the bay area and the central valley on its way to Nevada.

All this having been said, I'm a firm believer in shooting through a linear
polarizer in order to better color the sky and plants w/o having to fiddle
about in Photoshop. (^:

As to keeping cars out of the valley floor, I'm all for it.  Also for getting
rid of campfires and electrifying the busses.