RE: [OM] [OT] Portrait vs Landscapel: A plea for help

Subject: RE: [OM] [OT] Portrait vs Landscapel: A plea for help
From: "Ian G Skelly" <I@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 16:35:58 +0100
I have solved this.

I take all of my pix in landscape and then scan and print in portrait as
needed. This does lose some of the negative area but has a number of
advantages:

1. no contortions in taking the pix
2. no additional loss of neg area due to cropping / adjusting less than
straight verticals caused by 1
3. no need to carry a tripod hoping to resolve resolve 1 and 2
4. no contortions  or repositioning on the light box in viewing the negs
5. all prints from the processor are viewed in the same orientation as
supplied and they stack better
6. same as above for slides
7. smaller end pix due to reduced quality from smaller negative area saves
on costs

Extending on point 7, I'm trying to find a processor who will dev and
contact only colour (sorry color) neg. My wife can then have these and a
magnifying glass while I get to play with the negs.

Which does lead me to another vexing question.... how and why do they make
Zuiko lenses to give an oblong image on film? Why can't we just turn the
lens 90 degree to give a portrait shape on the film and thus save film?

Regards
Ian