Re: [OM] A curious e-mail

Subject: Re: [OM] A curious e-mail
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2002 17:52:02 -0700
on 9/9/02 4:47 PM, Bill Stanke at bstanke@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi Zuiks:
>
> I had some miscellaneous items that I had offered to the list that
> didn't sell, so I put them on da Bay.  They didn't sell there, either!
>
> Right after my auction ended on an OM reversing ring, I received the
> following cryptic message (in the "Question for Seller"):
>

> "Interested in the reversing ring."
>
> Okay, if you are a list member, send me an e-mail, and I'll sell it to
> you.
>
> Paranoid person that I am, I feared that da Bay was trying to "entrap"
> me into selling outside the system.
>
> Idea #2 is that the potential buyer was trying to buy the item for less
> than the minimum bid ($10).  Hmmph, I'll keep it if I can't get $10 out
> of it.
>
> I resisted to write back to the person, WELL, THEN WHY DIDN'T YOU BID?
>
> Have I read too many of Walt's posts?  Is this grumpiness by
> association?  Am I doomed?
>
> What think you all?
>
> Bill Stanke

I can't think of any reason why you couldn't reply with exactly that
message. Further, I think once the e*ay listing ends, you are free to sell
or otherwise dispose of the item any way you want, especially if you didn't
get any bids on it. You're already being charged for the listing, even if
you get no bids at all.

Of course they would love to have you relist it, but I think you are within
your rights to tell this person that 'I have to get $10 out of it, so if
you're offering that you can buy it directly.' Of course, you don't have any
of the "e*ay protections" in this instance, so be sure you get the money up
front...
--

Jim Brokaw