[OM] Re: why the big glass?

Subject: [OM] Re: why the big glass?
From: Stephen Troy <sctroy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 08:36:12 -0400
>From: "Daniel J. Mitchell"
>Subject: [OM] Sort-of-faq -- why the big glass?
>
> Or is it that people use these in low light / high speeds more often than I
>think they do? Or something else again?
>
> -- dan

My brother and I use the following for railroad photography: Zuiko 250/2,
Tamron 300/2.8 & 400/4, Sigma 500/4.5.

At times, trains tend to move fast.  Using Velvia on a sunny day means
1/500 between 4 and 5.6 on a slow train and 1/1000 between 2.8 and 4 on a
passenger train.  If you want to shoot long, you have to shoot fast.  The
advantage is that you aren't shooting "wide open" (especially with the 2
and 2.8 lenses) so the sharpness is better.  All the lenses mentioned are
also of amazing quality.

These lenses are also useful when you want to throw the background out of
focus by shooting wide open (as in fashion photography).  The 400/4 gives
the most 3-D feel I've ever seen in a telephoto shot when using it wide-open.

These are some of the reasons we use "big glass."

Steve Troy