Re: [OM] More fuel for the Digi-Film debate?

Subject: Re: [OM] More fuel for the Digi-Film debate?
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 10:33:27 -0600
At 10:44 AM 9/10/2002 +0100, Sam Shiell wrote:

>...I was talking to someone in the events dept the other day about how
>they use photographers with the hope of signing myself up for a bit of work,
>and we got to talking about the fact that our art studio produce in-house
>magazines for some of the clients. It turns out that they will only use film
>photos, because the quality of even the top-end digital pictures aren't good
>enough.
>
>Interesting! Has anyone else heard that or is this just a bee-in-the-bonnet
>of the Studio director?

Well, I only have one datapoint -- my buddy who's a commercial photographer
(y'know, product shots, flyers for the local IGA/Safeway/other retail food
mart, technical photography, aerial stuff, etc.).  He just e-mailed me recently
asking me if I wanted to buy his rather beautiful large-format (4" x 5") view
camera.  I was shocked -- didn't he use it anymore?

Nope, came the reply.  He hasn't put paying film through it in over a year --
almost everything he does for clients now, even the stuff that's going to be
massively magnified, he does either with his high-end digicam or with
medium-format film and a drum scanner (mostly the former).  He's pretty
convinced that within five years, he'll be totally digital.  His clients are
quite happy with the quality (and some of them are notoriously picky), and they
*really* like the speed of turnaround and the fact that they can have files
e-mailed to them.

Just my $0.02 (Canadian) worth.

Garth