Re: [OM] Re: Spot Meter Thingy..

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Spot Meter Thingy..
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 12:41:43 -0700
on 9/10/02 4:50 AM, Benson Honig at benson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

snipped a bit

> On the second mounting attempt - the bugger sliced off the top of
> my spot meter do-hicky (also known as a CE572500).  These are
> not, how should I say it, widely available here in Israel...! Anyone
> know of a source? I've sent out a note to John H. (no reply yet)  -
> but if anyone else on the list knows of a source, or happens to have
> one laying about, it would get my OM up and running (in time for this
> TOPE). Or, perhaps someone knows of a substitute idea? I tried to
> cover it with tape to keep it engaged, but it doesn't work because the
> tape jams up the shutter speed dial.

The little button is missing the top and so it is not being pressed down
deeply enough when a lens is mounted... You need to build up the height of
the little button... as it is plastic I would try a small dot of hot-melt
glue, then trim it with a (single-edge) razor blade so it will be higher.
The button was mentioned here recently as being still available, and if I
recall to replace it you unscrew the lens mount ring...

> By the way - what kind of grease should I use for under the shutter
> speed dial?  (CE573400, etc...).There was some discussion a while
> back - an international product would be nice.

I don't know that I'd put any kind of grease in there unless Olympus
recommends it... that said, I believe "Micro Tools" sells a variety of
greases. I've used a Dow Corning Silicon Vacuum Grease sold for sealing
high-vacuum systems, it won't outgas in vacuum and doesn't melt until ~500
degrees... You can get this and similar items from industrial distributors,
I suspect that it is available in your country. This stuff is fairly high
stiffness, so it might not be the optimum choice, that's where the camera
greases have some variety.
--

Jim Brokaw