Re: [OM] More fuel for the Digi-Film debate?

Subject: Re: [OM] More fuel for the Digi-Film debate?
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 15:21:15 -0700
William Clark wrote:

As someone who studies product markets for a living (I am an economist you know..oh no!!!) I think that digital still has barriers.

1. First. There needs to be an affordable way of getting pics printed at home that look great without any retouching. if you read the forums on the internet, you will see that nearly everone does some re-sharpening or something. NO "regular" consumer wants to shoot in RAW mode and then post-process.

I think you are confabulating two issues here; the ability of regular digicams to make prints that meet or exceed the quality of regular consumer prints from 35mm without computer manipulation and the adventures of digiholics. Is your observation based on actual experience or the maunderings of lost souls on the internet? All digicams have sharpening and other image enhancement algorithms built in. Some high end ones allow adjusting them and/or skipping all in-camera processing altogether with a 'RAW" image.However, when you can't or don't disable them, they provide print ready images that can be of excellent quality with no further adjustment.

You may recall a list member providing a direct comparison between a digicam (E-10?) and an unadjusted scanned image from an OM and remarking how much better the digicam image looked. Another member (C.H.?) correctly pointed out that the digicam image already had been optimized in the camera for viewing at the resolution presented, while the scan had not.

I have a Can*n S110, 2.1mp camera. I print 8x10 images direct from the JPEG files it produces (nope, no TIFF, or RAW options) that are just plain excellent. The only thing I usually do to them in the computer is cropping. In fact, there is something about them that seems to draw people's attention in a way regular 8x10s don't.

I think the real barrier is in needing a computer to get the image from the camera to the printer. That's the reason for all the printers coming out that can print direct from the camera, or even from the memory card without camera or computer. Remember too, that digicam images don't have the dust spots that account for a lot of the time spent in photo editing programs.
I had a BA in economics once, but I think I lost it decades ago ;-)

Moose