Re: Dimage Scan Dual 2 scanner, was Re: [OM] Renting a film scanner?

Subject: Re: Dimage Scan Dual 2 scanner, was Re: [OM] Renting a film scanner?
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 16:13:49 -0700
Picture CD is not a premium product, but an extension of the consumer level Picture Disk to CD. Photo CD and Pro Photo CD are the premium and super-premium products. When I tried picture CD a few months ago, all production was at one plant in the upper mid-west. My film was developed and printed in Central Calif, sent off to the Picture CD facility and then sent back to No. Calif. I was looking for an alternative to getting 4x6 prints as proofs to see what I want to scan, but it takes too long - and they made and charged for prints even though I said not to.

Moose

Jim L'Hommedieu wrote:

I'll bet Picture CD is a little like printing.  If one can find a pro lab
offering Picture CD, where someone who cares is doing the process manually,
the "brand" is capable of perfectly acceptable results.  The danger to Kodak
that I see is that they are branding a premium priced product but they have
not put controls in place (as they did with "The Good Look") to assure that
everyone using the Kodak name returns quality good enough for the advanced
amateur.