Re: [OM] XAs and Ansel Adams at 100

Subject: Re: [OM] XAs and Ansel Adams at 100
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 21:02:31 -0700
on 9/10/02 7:57 PM, Henry Bottjer-BA at hcbottj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Okay, now I have to start thinking of finding an XA to add to the
> collection?  What powers this little beast, pray tell?  Judging from the age
> I would guess the silver oxide battery?

The XA, XA-2, XA-3 and XA-4 all use two silver oxide batterys, the #357 that
works with many later OMs works fine. The XA-1 has a built-in selenium cell,
no batterys needed, but otherwise its a really 'dumbed down' model, you only
want one of those if you need to have one of every model (which is us,
right...?).

IMO, the XA is the one to get, as you have some control of the exposure due
to the manual apertures, and rangefinder focusing... Then get an XA-4, which
offers a wider-angle lens (28mm instead of 35mm focal length) and close
focusing (but not rangefinder focus). However, since the XA-4 was only made
in small number compared to the original XA, the cost of a clean XA-4 can be
2X to 3X the cost of a clean XA.

Many XA's I see need new foam, which is pretty straightforward to replace.
Otherwise they seem to be pretty reliable. You need to get the A-11 flash
(or one of the other models) if you anticipate using flash, as there is no
PC socket or hot shoe on the XA series. These often come with the XA's...
--

Jim Brokaw