RE: [OM] Monopod technique [was: portrait vs landscape]

Subject: RE: [OM] Monopod technique [was: portrait vs landscape]
From: "Buddy Walters" <BWalters@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 23:52:10 -0700
Hi Dan,
I will agree with you that achieving tack sharp images with a monopod is
impossible and in my opinion monopods in general are pretty much
worthless.  The only value I see in them is to help hold up the cameras
weight while shooting.  When I can't use a tripod, I would rather use my
shoulder pod.

If you are looking for tack sharp images (like your test on the brick
wall indicates) I think the only alternative is a good heavy tripod.
And then do everything you can to reduce vibration, especially with a
lens like a 200mm or 180mm that does not have a tripod collar on the
lens.  If you haven't noticed, look at how loose your lens is attached
to the body.  I feel this is one of the reasons the 200mm has a bad rape
for soft images.  Both the body and the lens need some pressure to
eliminate the vibration during exposure.  I think Gary Reese finally
figured this out after he did about half of his testing.  But that is a
different story.
Anyway, I don't think you are doing anything wrong with a monopod.  I
think it is just the nature of the beast.
Good luck
Buddy Walters