Re: [OM] Handholding 200/4

Subject: Re: [OM] Handholding 200/4
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 08:40:46 EDT
In a message dated 9/11/2002 12:18:40 AM Central Standard Time,
iddibhai@xxxxxxx writes:

> 200/4 appears
> >to be difficult to stabilize even with tripods and monopods

Sometimes hard and fast "rules" save our butts and sometimes they get in the
way. Somewhere in the deep dark crevices of my mind is a "rule" of nothing
slower than a 1/30 hand held.  There also resides in there a "rule" about
focal length and using a corresponding shutter speed as a minimum.

Experience has shown me that I am capable of breaking both "rules" and
getting quite acceptable results.  There is an awareness about brcing myself
well when hand holding my camera really at almost any speed and a very high
percentage of the time when my subject is stationary or near staionary, there
is a sturdy tripod being used.

So my bottom line is, "Let your personal experience be your guide and don't
miss that picture of a lifetime, because you would need to handhold you
camera at 1/15 or slower."  You may screw up more than you capture, but . . .
Bill Barber