RE: [OM] Monopod Technique

Subject: RE: [OM] Monopod Technique
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 09:43:41 -0600
 Thanks for all the tips; I think there's two separate problems at work
here:

 1. bouncing the shutter release so the whole camera shakes. This, I can
avoid; I've got the 'feel' for the critical point (and how to avoid doing
the wrong thing when I reach it) fairly well by now. I can certainly see how
monopods would make this easier, though, because I have something to press
down against just to make absolutely sure there's no twitch.

 2. general motion of the camera because I'm not completely stable even when
I'm not shooting. Just looking through the viewfinder, I can see the image
moving back and forth because I'm not completely still -- so in 1/30th of a
second, there'd be some motion even if I used self-timer.  Perhaps this is
where not drinking coffee comes into it.. though I've got a fairly twitchy
metabolism at the best of times, which can't be helping any.

 (though the tip about not holding onto the camera too tight is an
interesting one -- I currently try and press it against my face to lock it
solidly, which makes sense when I'm handholding because then my head's a
stabilising point, but when it's on a monopod I need to use _that_ as the
stable thing, so the extra tension from pressing it against me is probably a
bad thing rather than a good one)

 The monopod removes most of the vertical component here, it's just the
twist around the base that I'm getting left with. I suspect that's probably
avoidable with more practise and/or some alternative technique where I can
keep that locked in place.

 -- dan