Re: [OM] Monopod technique [was: portrait vs landscape]

Subject: Re: [OM] Monopod technique [was: portrait vs landscape]
From: Mike Veglia <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 09:31:02 -0700
In a message dated 9/10/2002 Daniel J. Mitchell asks:

<< Having played with one for a while, I'm still mystified -- how do people
manage to keep monopods stable? >>

A lot of weight on the monopod really helps. Then again, if the lens/body
combo didn't weigh alot I would hand-hold anyway ;-) Take your left hand and
place it palm down on the top front of the lens. Your left hand grips the
camera body. Your legs are the other two legs of the "tripod."

Your idea of shortening the monopod and tucking the foot in your belt is one
that reminds me of a guy I saw shooting with a monopod that ended in a
curved pad that went against his leg. He was using a 600mm f4 lens (not
small) on a huge (F5 or D1X I think) Nik*n body. Looked pretty stable
actually.

The shakes are rough. Too much coffee is a real telephoto killer. High
shutter speeds (back to the fast glass thread) are the rule.

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com