Re: [OM] scanners

Subject: Re: [OM] scanners
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 18:25:22 -0400
Bill,

I've compared the Sprintscan 4000, the Sprintscan 4000+ and the LS-4000 and
I haven't seen the problems you described, except when I was using an
'incompatible' film.  I forget the name of the Kodak film that is supposed
to be optimized for scanning, but, for me, it was HORRIBLE.  All I saw was
grain, it was just ugly as heck.  Once I went back to WalMart purchased Fuji
Superia, the problem completely went away.  Of course 800 and 1600 speed
film actually show more grain on the 4000dpi scanners than 2700-2800, just
because the resolution sees them.

I think I've used ICE once, but never really found the need for it.  The
Polaroid, on the other hand, got worse and worse as it aged.  It was a
terrible dust magnet and it took forever to get the negatives cleaned up
after I scanned them.  Don't get me wrong, I loved the scanner, it was just
more work.  Perhaps I am spoiled by the roll film adapter on the Nikon.

Tom