Re: [OM] Storing & Retrieving Film

Subject: Re: [OM] Storing & Retrieving Film
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 16:20:04 -0700 (PDT)
>Simple question: Those of you who also use 120 transparencies,
>do you cut the film? How do you store it?

Same with 35mm negs.  I cut them to seperate subjects and file
them with the 35mm slides by subject.

Filing system?  By SUBJECT or PLACE.  When a file gets too
large, I subdivide it into new folders.  For instance Flowers
got divided into wildflowers and domesticated flowers.  Beach
scenes got divided into location specific, non-location
specific, non-sunset and sunset.  My Smokies file is subdivided
in Smokies and Cataloochie.  Virginia is divided into Western
Tier and Blue Ridge.

Over 20,000 images are all stored in poly sheets and in hanging
folders organized by subject.  The hanging folders are then
currently stored in portable file boxes.  I use portable file
boxes because of "in case of fire, throw these out the window".

I put any pertanant information on the poly sheets if everything
is single-subject (or negatives) or on the slide mount.

I'm not sure why a "subject" organizational structure wouldn't
work for you.  I can find ANY picture (provided I've actually
returned it to the file--duh), in almost no time.  Of course,
frequent flipping through the files helps keep a general index
of what's in the files close to the top of your mind.

This, of course, is for my "working photos".  Family pictures
get put in albums by my wife and the negs all get stuffed into a
shoebox.

AG-Schnozz