RE: [OM] OT Windows 98 question

Subject: RE: [OM] OT Windows 98 question
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 09:27:57 -0700
> Here's What You Need to Use Windows XP Home Edition
> PC with 300 megahertz (MHz) or higher processor clock speed =
> recommended;
> 233-MHz minimum required; Intel Pentium/Celeron family, AMD =
> K6/Athlon/Duron
> family, or compatible processor recommended=20
> 128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended

So with 350mhz I'm barely over the hump. I do have plenty of RAM @
384mb. I may consider the upgrade to XP when I build a new box after the
first of the year. Anyway, as I understand to get the upgrade for $80 it
has to be bundled with a hardware package. (??)
In the meantime I'll make do with what I have and maybe stick in a
450mhz cpu which is the max on this mobo. Before anyone tells me how
cheap ($300) it is to build a new box they have to realize that the
problem is migrating all of my legacy (read, cheap old) hardware.
Replacing this stuff would cost the big bucks. Besides cheap, old works
for me and I'm doing my part to resist the industry push to make
everything obsolete so you have to "upgrade"

Mike

--
Latitude 48° 32' North, Longitude 123° 7' West