RE: [OM] [OT] Canon announces 11 Megapixel EOS

Subject: RE: [OM] [OT] Canon announces 11 Megapixel EOS
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 09:40:29 -0700
I saw this too.  But lets get real.  Who needs this megapixel stuff
unless you want medium format.  Over the course of the summer I used
the E20, D100 and Finepix S2 (this one at a Nova Scotia dealer on
holidays).  You know what, I would be happy with the resolution on
all of them.  i printed up to 8x10 with all of them with SUPERB
results on an Epson 785EPX (same print engine as the 1280).  I may
print 1 11x14 in my life time, so I doubt 10 megapixels or 20
megapixels (see link below) with be of anyuse to the general person:

<http://www.dpreview.com/news/0209/02090601sinar22mp.asp>http://www.dpreview.com/news/0209/02090601sinar22mp.asp

This megapixel crapola is now becoming a marketing thing.

-Bill

I have seen closely reasoned arguments even before 3 megapixels was
pushing the envelope that quality parity(some things a little
better/some things a little worse) with 35mm film would be reached at
8-10 megapixels. Since film is considered to exceed the resolution of
lenses, it would appear that this is it.  The next big jumps may be
marketing, but this is real progress.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California