Re: [OM] Cap for 28/2 lens hood

Subject: Re: [OM] Cap for 28/2 lens hood
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 15:15:57 -0700
They are simply sized by the OD that they slip onto. The OD of an Oly 49mm ID thread filter ring is just under 51mm (50.8-50.9) and a 51mm soft push-on fits. The external diameter of the 28/2 metal hood is 76.2mm. There may be some trouble with that kind of cap because of the fact that the 76mm edge is sharp and falls away rapidly, so it won't have the expected smooth, flat surface to hold onto by friction. A push-on 75mm might fit if you trim down the internal bosses, or a 77 or 78 mm would fit with some thin material glued inside.

A 72mm snap-in hood fits, but doesn't hold on very well (I tried 3 different ones.) and a 77m is too large. Shave down the length by a notch of the internal ribs (silver nose!) and a 72mm would likely fit perfectly.

Rummaging around in a kitchen drawer in the miscellaneous lids for cans and jars, I found one that fits perfectly! It is white, with the logo of the Ball company that makes canning supplies. I suspect it snaps onto the top of some standard size jelly jar to protect the poured wax seal. It even has a rectangular matte area for labeling where you could write 'Olympus Zuiko'!

Moose

plp@xxxxxxxx wrote:

Has anyone ever figured out the correct size of a B+W /
Schneider soft push-on lens cap for an Olympus 28/2 metal
lens hood?  Or how about for a Kaiser push-on lens cap?
Any other options?