Re: [OM] part 3 and wedding coming up

Subject: Re: [OM] part 3 and wedding coming up
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 00:37:51 -0500
At 12:40 9/12/02, Ag Schnozz wrote:
Well, I mentioned in the last post about some damage to the
camera equipment while on my backpacking trip.  I'm still
assessing, but...

The viewfinder glass on the OM-4 broke.  Just the outer most
layer--the one you have to clean once in a while.  It's
currently about 3/4 of it's proper length and slides around a
bit.  Nothing major, but it does add an interesting element to
composing a picture.

[snip]

Ken,
This broke on mine a couple of years ago. It was in 3 pieces and was able to get them all out by turning them sideways. According to a posting by John H. some time ago, breakage of the viewfinder's protective covering glass is not a rare an event. They're thin glass and can be broken if the viewfinder frame is jarred against a solid, rigid surface or if a hard, sharp object pokes it directly with a little force.

It's there to keep dust and dirt out of the prism optics. Take care of your OM-4 viewfinder, protect it well from crudmium migrating into the viewfinder and you'll be OK for a while. Used mine for almost a year after it shattered and had it replaced when I sent it to John H. for another, more significant problem plus a CLA. Had to pay extra for the replacement part "pane of glass" in addition to the CLA cost.

GL on the wedding and hope you're feeling better by then. Was thinking I might have a wedding job myself in mid-October, but it will probably fall through. They haven't made a deposit payment and should have over a week ago. Not a good sign.

-- John