Re: [OM] [OT] Canon announces 11 Megapixel EOS

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Canon announces 11 Megapixel EOS
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 00:53:54 -0700
RAW or TIFF? I thought RAW was the unprocessed output from the imaging device and can't be read or used by anything else until the equivalent of the in-camera firmware processing is done on a computer to convert it to a standard graphics format. TIFF is a format that won't result in any artifacts and requires no further processing in the computer before being read/printed by standard graphics programs. JPEG results in loss of image information, the amount depending on the level of compression. TIFF is always lossless. Uncompressed, it carries all the original info directly. The TIFF compression algorithm is also lossless, so the amount of compression varies with the image details. I think I average about 25ompression using it in Vuescan on my film scanner.

Moose

Tal Lancaster wrote:

I tend to shoot RAW so as to not have an opportunity for any JPEG
artifacts showing up.