Re: [OM] Winders

Subject: Re: [OM] Winders
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 18:48:59 -0500
OK, here's what happens, and why -- deep inside the winders (I know it's
hard to imagine "deep" in something so small, but...) there's a small
rubber ring that transmits the rotation of one metal plate to another.
Over the years it dissolves and turns to "yuck" (a technical term).
When that happens, the motor will spin but the gears don't -- it will
fire the shutter, but then it just sits and whirrs, but it doesn't wind
to the next frame.  Sometimes the failure will be gradual -- it seems to
slip just a little, once in a while, then more and more.  Sometimes it
seems to happen all at once -- you press the release, the shutter fires,
then the motor goes wild until you shake it, or slap it, or take the
batteries out.

If that's what's happened, it's got to be taken apart and the ring
replaced, and there's no way I can describe all the things you've got to
do to get there without messing something up -- it's something you've
got to see a few times to even begin to understand!

The unfortunate thing is that, quite often, once the dissolved ring is
replaced, the winder will turn much slower and laboriously -- but it
won't slip.

This is an entirely different problem from the winder being unable to
wind a complete frame.  In that case, the motor will struggle, then
stop.  As C.H. says, sometimes a dab of grease on the rewind shaft will
improve this (or fresh batteries!).  Or sometimes the rewind
shaft/collar is not perfectly perpendicular to the body and will exert
"drag" on the spool.  If the rewind knob is bent, with good odds I'd bet
that was the problem.  One way to check for these is to see if pulling
up on the rewind knob (but not opening the back and ruining your film!)
and leaving it up while you wind the camera clears up the problem.  If
so, try a dab of grease first -- it doesn't take much!  Put a little on
the shaft then raise and lower it and turn it a few times, then wipe the
excess off.  If the winder still doesn't turn a complete frame, eye-ball
the shaft while it's up and turn the camera around to see if it's askew
from any vantage.  Sometimes it's possible to bend it back, but I'm not
going to tell you to whack your camera with a stick!  That's something I
charge for, after all!  And if I screw up, I've got to fix it!

Lastly, and rarest, is if the clutch inside slips.  The clutch tension
is set at the factory, but every few years we see one that's too loose,
or too tight.  If it's too tight, it tears the sprocket holes at the end
of the roll every time (not just in cold weather).  If it's too loose,
the winder will fire, then go "clickity-click" without winding to the
next frame.  Again, that's an adjustment you've got to see to understand
-- I'm not going to try and describe it!

The OM-2s also has one unique problem with winders/motor drives --
sometimes the MD switch isn't properly grounded and won't stop between
frames or operate reliably.  If you've seen this, there needs to be a
jumper between the MD switch frame and the ground on the circuit just
beside it -- easy fix.