[OM] The perfect chrome film

Subject: [OM] The perfect chrome film
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 10:42:54 -0500
I think I'm going to get seriously flamed by the Kodachrome people, but
there isn't a single perfect film. Film is a tool, you must use the tool
best suited for the job, just as a painter uses different brushes.

I generally prefer Fuji chromes. As an all around chrome, the Provias are a
close to a universal film as we have today. The grain is finer that any
other, and the saturation is only bumped a little (note that enhanced
saturation is currently in vogue. We shall see if it remains so.). For
situations where a lower contrast result with "normal" saturation, the
Astia/Sensia film is better. For high saturation, Velvia is still the
preferred film, although Ektachrome EBX is even more saturated. the
"amateur" Ektachrome is more saturated than the "pro" version.

I discount Kodachrome due to unreliable processing. I do not expect this
situation to change, as I don't think Kodak has any real commitment to this
product. Those of you outside the US may have different situations.

Bill Pearce