Re: [OM] Life style change coming up

Subject: Re: [OM] Life style change coming up
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 10:15:04 -0700 (PDT)
> Although it is true that you can write off
> equipment
> expense, be sure that you don't have a business that looses
> money at the
> end of the year.  The IRS gets suspicious if you don't turn a
> profit
> after a few years - especially if it is border-line "hobby".

One thing that helps me is that I have a different camera
"system" that I use for home/family pictures.  I can easily
point to the OM system and identify it as my "professional"
camera system.  The IS-3, even though I occasionally use it for
pro use (and visversa), is uniquely identifiable as the home
camera.  Same with film:  I use elcheepo Fuji 100 stuff (4 roll
packs) from Wal-Mart for family use and pro films for
professional use.

By seperating as much as you can, it really, really helps at
times of audit.  Make sure you have a seperate checkbook for the
business too.  Life is SO MUCH easier when your systems are
seperate from the home.

I make sure that I cost charge-back paper, film and supplies to
the home for anything not used by the business.  The IRS really
likes to see some supplies be recognized as used for home use.

As far as the pro market is concerned...  Do what you want to do
and try to find a niche market for your work.  It is a highly
competitive world out there, but there seems to always be
emerging markets in some wierd specialized area.  I found one
last year.

Have fun with it, you can always do the arts and crafts shows
like millions of other retiries.

AG