Re: [OM] The perfect chrome film

Subject: Re: [OM] The perfect chrome film
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 11:51:06 -0700
I think I'm going to get seriously flamed by the Kodachrome people, but
there isn't a single perfect film. Film is a tool, you must use the tool
best suited for the job, just as a painter uses different brushes.

I generally prefer Fuji chromes. As an all around chrome, the Provias are a
close to a universal film as we have today. The grain is finer that any
other, and the saturation is only bumped a little (note that enhanced
saturation is currently in vogue. We shall see if it remains so.). For
situations where a lower contrast result with "normal" saturation, the
Astia/Sensia film is better. For high saturation, Velvia is still the
preferred film, although Ektachrome EBX is even more saturated. the
"amateur" Ektachrome is more saturated than the "pro" version.

I discount Kodachrome due to unreliable processing. I do not expect this
situation to change, as I don't think Kodak has any real commitment to this
product. Those of you outside the US may have different situations.

Bill Pearce

I am a big Velvia fan too and wish it was a little faster and I am really pleased with Provia 400F. It is an amazingly versatile fast film that does not seem to sacrifice much for the speed. I am not really happy Provia F 100. It just does not look sharp to me and there is a tendency to magenta in shadows that may look painterly, but not the way I remember the landscape. Look closely in the dark areas of clouds in your pictures. I have tried a few rolls of Agfa's 100 and it looks very promising. Grain is not quite as fine as Fuji's, but not bad. Looks very sharp and very neutral and seems to handle bright or pastel colors well. You might try a roll.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California