Re: [OM] Re: ( OM ) Was megapixel madness

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: ( OM ) Was megapixel madness
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 10:11:36 -0700
on 9/14/02 2:27 PM, Brian Swale at bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

 Winsor Crosby wrote:, forwarded by Moose

 It is well known that 35mm lenses are sharper than medium format and
 large format lenses.

 Hi folks; not necessarily true.  The Zeiss Sonnar 250mm SuperAchromat CFi
lens for Hasslefree is reputed to be the sharpest lens in current production;
 capable of delivering 600 (I think it is, should look it up) lines per (
 mm/inch I
 need to look up again). This topic came up about 9 months ago when we
 talked over the maximum detail that film could record.  Whether it is lines
 per
 mm or inch, it is still away better than any lens most people have. And it
 should be possible to fit it to an OM body.

I remember that... probably should be 600lp/mm, because 600lp/inch is only
about 40lp/mm, which isn't all that impressive. I remember seeing somewhere
that the typical Pen F lens was capable of pretty impressive resolution,
something like 80lp/mm or more... the supposed need to provide more
resolution due to the smaller film format resulted in some pretty
high-quality designs.
--

Jim Brokaw

Unfortunately none of this makes any sense. Since 80 lines per mm is generally considered to be superb lens resolution I really doubt that Zeiss has discovered some alternative physics that produces 8 times the resolution of the best of any other manufacturers product.

There are 25.4mm per inch. 600 lines per inch would convert to 23 lines per mm which is not really good by anyone's standard. However it would probably put a nice image on large format film.

Maybe you guys need to double check things?  :-)
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California