Re: [OM] Lightmeter cumbersome?

Subject: Re: [OM] Lightmeter cumbersome?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 10:49:19 -0700
I don't own a lightmeter (yet). But I wanted to know, for those that do and carry it around with you all the time, if it's cumbersome or awkward to have to meter, then fumble for the camera...

The reason I ask this, is because, I had a camera fund, (a Minolta Maxxum 5 fund) that became an Om4-Ti fund, that might soon become a Fuji GW690III fund. I can't stand it. Some of the images I see from this thing, just utterly amazing, and so I'm thinking about getting one. Of course, no onboard metering (purely mechanical) and so I would have to sport a lightmeter and was wondering if that's a pain or not.

Any recommendations on lightmeters if I do get one? My friend is a Minolta bigot, and so he will say Minolta to questions like who is the president of the US.... So any suggestions welcome..

Albert

Cumbersome? These things are on a scale, not either or. More cumbersome that an OM4 with spot meter? Absolutely. But if you need a light meter because the camera does not have one or it is not very good you have to put up with it.

As for the Fuji there are some things to consider besides the fact that it is a good camera. When you go beyond 6x6 things get very expensive and difficult depending on what you want to do. You can't project 6x9 slides. A projector does not exist. 6x7 projectors exist, but are very expensive and are mostly manual changers/focusers. If you plan on scanning check out what is available in film scanners for your 6x9 format and the price. If you plan to do flat bed scans from prints there is no point since what you get will not be much different from 35mm. Will you be taking your film somewhere for processing? It will now be pro level only with its attendant cost.

Do you really just want to take wide angle only pictures from now on? That is all you get with the Fuji. A Mamiya 7 in the same rough price area would get you interchangeable lenses and a built in light meter(although not like the one in the OM4). I think you would find that its lenses are considered to be even better than the one on the Fuji. But it is still a rangefinder. Give up the idea of macro, or even tight, close portraits with any of them. Consider that you will want to use a tripod more to preserve that extra sharpness of medium format.

Lots of us on the list have a camera we have fallen in love with to use once in a while. The Fuji is a good second or third camera to play with if your other photographic needs are taken care of. So go for it if you like it. It may be just what you want.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California