Re: [OM] OM-4Ti

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-4Ti
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 14:04:37 -0700
on 9/15/02 2:36 AM, Wayne Harridge at wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> I'm wondering on the intelligence of investing in an Om4-Ti.  It's a
>> dead system...  But I would like spot metering on my Om1n, and I'm
>> wondering if another brand wouldn't yield me a better buy?  I
>> currently
>> have 3 lenses...  and that seems to be the leverage in
>> investment, but
>> for an OM4Ti, I can buy quite a bit of another brand..Or go
>> digital SLR..
>>
>> What do you all think?
>
> Sounds like a good idea to me, I reckon if I only had 1 body and 3
> lenses I wouldn't be so attached to the OM system.
>
> ...Wayne

Well, I would expect that one body and three lenses in a new autowunderbrick
could cost as much or more than a clean used OM-4Ti... Certainly a new AF
wunderbrick with a high-end metal construction, such as the Nikon F100 or
Canon EOS-1n. Below that level most new cameras (and many lenses) are made
of plastic, mostly. Not to say if that's worse or better, but in durability
I have my doubts.

Also there is the size/handling factor. While a Leica R8 I held recently fit
my hand wonderfully (it didn't fit my budget!) the new autowundercameras are
mostly larger physically than the OM series... as are the lenses. You might
find that one zoom lens such as a 24-120 could cover most of the 'everyday
usage' focal-length range, but its going to be bigger than any OM lens. I'd
almost guess that you could put a 24/2.8, 50/1.8, 85/2.0, and 135/3.5 into
the same volume as a 24-120 zoom... and most of the OM lenses will be faster
aperture, too.

The OM-4Ti is a truly wonderful camera, and solidly constructed. Good clean
examples in the 'champagne' color seem to be ~$450-$500, and the newer black
version $500-$650 or so. You're not going to get an equivalently high-end AF
wunderbrick camera and wide-range zoom lens for that investment. Plus, the
OM stuff won't depreciate further as much as the lower-end wunderbricks will
from new...
--

Jim Brokaw