Re: [OM] Lightmeter cumbersome?

Subject: Re: [OM] Lightmeter cumbersome?
From: Albert <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 14:50:02 -0700
Josh, you were the reason I ended up buying a Moskva 5, in 6x9. The lens on it, sucked, I suspect it was the one I bought, but might be true simply due to age of lens. Was not very sharp. I guess I'm in love more with the idea of the FujiGW690 more then the camera itself. Probably do a lot of vacation stuff, and thus, 120/220 film harder to come by, the fact that I'm going to get only 8 shots etc... Didn't consider all those.. And then there's the Sardines...

Thanks, I would really like to get an Om4Ti, as I think, even if I want to sell it down the road, it won't depreciate anymore, so it's a rock solid investment.

Albert

Joshua Putnam wrote:

Mickey Trageser wrote:

The completely manual design of the camera, sans meter, locked to a single focal length and coupled with the cost factors would put me in a mode that would demand thoughtful deliberation for each frame. Using a handheld meter
would not significantly affect that process.

What are your intentions for the camera? Travel? Studio? Portraits? Are you
planning on printing murals? Do all of your photography needs fit into a
single focal length? Changing your goal from an OM-4Ti to the GW690III has far more impact than just losing the metering system. My needs for features are more diverse that the Fuji can provide as a primary camera. But if I had
a real need for the negative size, and the fixed focal length was
appropriate to the application, the lack of meter would not be an issue. But
it wouldn't replace my 35mm system.

I came very close to buying the GW690III a couple of years back, but it was the fixed focal length that really stopped me. For the same price, I got the more cumbersome, but more versatile, Mamiya Press, with two lenses, a 6x9 back, and a 70mm back for when I don't need the 6x9 format but do need lots of shots between changes. (Plus the 70mm back lets me shoot Kodak Aerographic Infrared, think 6x7 HIE negatives.)

OK, all that being said. I am extremely pleased with my Minolta handheld
ambient/flash meter. I would not have a problem purchasing another, if the
need arises.

Likewise, I find my Minolta an excellent meter.