Re: [OM] Clint is foiled again (was: Professionals and digital photograp

Subject: Re: [OM] Clint is foiled again (was: Professionals and digital photography)
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 00:52:39 +0200
On Sun, 15 Sep 2002 17:13:32 GMT
plp@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> >Go to his website and you'll get a better idea where
> >this yuk is coming from -- we're talking "nerd to the
> >geek power" here! I wonder how he would feel if, after
> >devoting years of his life learning and developing his
> >talent, then creating code for an innovative, remarkable
> >new program, someone pirated it and gave it out free for
> >the asking?  I doubt he'd be a programmer for long!
> >That, or he'd have to work part-time at McDonald's to
> >pay his rent!
>
> This is the same situation with Napster and the clones of
> it. I never understood how these geeksters could think
> that someone else's product, music in this case, should
> be free merely because it is now digitally transferable.

Okie, I have to voice in now. I am one of the "geeksters",
as you kindly call the members of my profession, and I
think that you are stereotyping more than what is
justified. So I will like to respectfully take exception to
your posting.

My, and *all* my peers (i.e. the part of the "geekster"
community I interface with), do not support nor see any
justification for illegal transfering of any copyrighted
material. What I, personally, see a justification for is
"fair usage". Example: if I bought the CD, I want to be
able to make an mp3 from it to listen to in my portable
mp3-player when working out. What is objectionable is, in
this context, that the RIAA and their like will prevent
that.

Yes, there is a community that engage in and encourages
illegal trading. But PLEASE og PLEASE do not automatically
associate that with us "geeksters". My personal perception
is, actually, that relatively few "geeksters" are members
of that community, whereas a relative large part of those
illegally sharing files are high-school teenagers or
colleage students. Sadly, slashdot is largely inhabited by
high-school students, with very few real "geeksters"
among.....

> >I've long contemplated buying a "foil imprinter" to
> >print my copywrite on my final images, but reading this
> >fellow's tripe has iced the (wedding) cake -- I'm going
> >to finally get one.
>
> Whatever you do, please post your solution.  A low-tech
> solution would be to acquire a train conductor's punch,
> and then punch a few strategically placed holes in the
> proofs.

Actually, I have been wondering what a foil imprinter is?
Anyone care to enlighten me? I assume it is something to
allow writing on the image surface of a print, but any
details? Would be interresting...

> >Proofs will either be lo-res for the customer, hi-res
> >that I keep and never allow out of my posession, or
> >on-line with scanned-in copywrite/logos all over.
>
> I'm still new here, but lo-res is only applicable for
> digital, right?  There's no way to print lo-res from
> film, is there?

Well, you could make them sufficiently small, making any
enlargements impossible :) Try making a good 11x14 from a
passport size positive photo....

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)
  M.Sc in Computer Engineering