Re: [OM] Clint is foiled again (was: Professionals and digital photograp

Subject: Re: [OM] Clint is foiled again (was: Professionals and digital photography)
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 16:44:09 -0700
Okie, I have to voice in now. I am one of the "geeksters",
as you kindly call the members of my profession, and I
think that you are stereotyping more than what is
justified. So I will like to respectfully take exception to
your posting.

My, and *all* my peers (i.e. the part of the "geekster"
community I interface with), do not support nor see any
justification for illegal transfering of any copyrighted
material. What I, personally, see a justification for is
"fair usage". Example: if I bought the CD, I want to be
able to make an mp3 from it to listen to in my portable
mp3-player when working out. What is objectionable is, in
this context, that the RIAA and their like will prevent
that.

Yes, there is a community that engage in and encourages
illegal trading. But PLEASE og PLEASE do not automatically
associate that with us "geeksters". My personal perception
is, actually, that relatively few "geeksters" are members
of that community, whereas a relative large part of those
illegally sharing files are high-school teenagers or
colleage students. Sadly, slashdot is largely inhabited by
high-school students, with very few real "geeksters"
among.....

Interesting that the record companies are attempting to buy a bill
through Congress that would allow them to conduct denial of service
web attacks on sites that they don't like.  I guess if you manage
thugs you get to be more like them.

Their crocodile tears of concern for the artist are a joke while they
try to get fair use repealed. What is the artists' share,  10 cents
on an 18 dollar CD?  Remember when $18 CDs replaced $7 vinyl LPs and
they said it was the cost?  Well, we know how much CDs cost now.  Ah,
greed.

Actually, I have been wondering what a foil imprinter is?
Anyone care to enlighten me? I assume it is something to
allow writing on the image surface of a print, but any
details? Would be interresting...

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)
  M.Sc in Computer Engineering

Not sure about a foil imprinter.  Foil printers were those shortlived
printers that used cassette tapes with wax based inks that were on
the market for 4 or 5 years.  I think there are still a few small
format ones around. I think Olympus markets one that make 4 X 5 inch
prints.

An easy solution for proofs would be what Ed Hamrick uses for his
unpaid-for scanning software - a grid mask over the image.  You can
see exactly what the scan will look like except for the widely spaced
diagonal black grid lines over the image.  You register your
shareware and the grid disappears.

"You buy the picture and you get one without the grid on the proof."
It would be easy to create in PhotoShop and just overlay it on any
image you are going to use a proof before printing.  The advantage is
that you could make a bigger, well corrected proof that would sell
itself better without worrying that it would be stolen.  You could
call them "proof lines" if you get any questions. The ones that are
picked would just have the grid layer deleted and then printed.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California