Re: [OM] How to Capture subtle colors

Subject: Re: [OM] How to Capture subtle colors
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 01:42:46 -0700
Remember the original question: Why is the subtle color change at the end of the petals of this flower missing in the photos? The question related to regular consumer 4x6 prints (where Clendon(?) already found the color lacking) scanned on a flat bed. I was exploring the contribution of the process used vs. direct scanning of the film on a film scanner. In that context, I believe the experiment found out where the color most likely went. A number of the comments remarked on contrast problems, 'blown-out highlights', etc. I believe the answer to those issues lies in the same place.

Your explanation for the contrast problem may be the case, although I think it's at least partly due to the print, too, as I have the advantage of having it here in front of me. It doesn't seem to me to be just loss of contrast, but loss of both the high and low end of density and loss of subtlety of tonal graduation. I picked the brighter part of the picture for the specific purpose of the test. Darker areas of the print have better apparent sharpness and better tonal graduation.

As to focus, the 4x6 print looks pretty sharp viewed in the usual way, 10-12" from the eye - and I have 20-10 corrected vision in one eye. The image on my screen is about 6x the size of the 4x6 print, or the equivalent of viewing a 24x26" print close-up, a pretty tall order for enlargement from a consumer print. I believe some of the softness may be focus in the printing machine, but that most is simply resolution limitation in the print emulsion; certainly the original neg is sharp. Now that I've calculated the effective size, I'm pretty impressed with the film, lens and scanner performance. I forgot to mention the film before. Kodak Gold 400-3, not a film I'm familiar with, it just came in a box of other film as a bonus, but certainly not a known superfilm.

Moose

Chris Barker wrote:

I am not sure that I would agree that you are comparing like with like here Moose. The left hand image is out of focus, the right hand is in focus.

I agree that the scan of the print lacks contrast compared with the film scan, but I put this down to the fact that the former is scanned from a reflective medium - the latter does not lose contrast because light is transmitted through the medium. I have found this with my rare scans of prints, which I do only when I have no alternative.

Chris