Re: [OM] OM-4Ti

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-4Ti
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 10:20:30 -0700
"You will never get the same consistency in exposure with an Om(anything) compared to say, a Minolta with matrix metering".

That's what my friend just told me. I don't know if that's true or not. All his pictures out of his Minolta 9, is very consistent. But I don't know if that is all that great, as far as creativity..

Albert.

For what it is worth, I did see a Popular Photography comparison of metering accuracy for automatic cameras a few years ago and the thing that I remember is that Minolta's matrix metering seemed to be better than others and Nikon's seemed a little worse. Of course those things are true until the next model comes out, but it does indicate that Minolta had a handle on it back then.

Now for the rant. Almost all of the exposure errors made in the tests would not have occurred with an exposure system that is easily understood and operated by someone with a brain. They were standard, simple situations like back lighting, side lighting. The problem with matrix metering is that when it makes an error you have no idea that it is doing so and you cannot compensate for it because you do not know if it has already been compensated for. With center weighted metering the concept is simple and you know that certain lighting situations are not compensated for by the meter, ever, and you can take charge of the situation, either with the exposure compensation dial or a spot reading.

It is true that if you mindlessly point and shoot, a matrix system may be more consistent in getting well exposed images than a center weight automatic system used in the same way. But, if you actually look at what you are taking and judiciously use the exposure compensation dial with an easily understood center weighted metering YOU may be more consistent than matrix metering. Your Minolta friend may enjoy handling exposure in a mindless way, but it does not sound like you do, especially if you are comfortable with an OM1N. Just think. Each time his matrix system messes up he will have no idea why and there is nothing he can do to improve his consistency. In addition his idea of perfect exposure will have less to do with what he has in mind than what the camera gives him.

--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California